When a gas leak triggers a gas explosion in Poland, air conditioning goes offline
A gas explosion triggered a gas evacuation of the Polish capital, Warsaw, on Wednesday, prompting authorities to shut down air conditioning for many of the city’s people.
The emergency declaration was issued at 8:40pm local time (07:40 GMT), a spokeswoman for Poland’s public security service said.
“We cannot guarantee that the evacuation will last,” she said, adding that there were still many gas leaks in the building and the air conditioning had not been working properly.
In a statement, the Interior Ministry said the gas explosion was caused by an underground leak.
Poland is one of the poorest countries in the European Union, and residents are often without clean water or power for days at a time.